Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Five Clubs, Salamanca and a Proposal

On Thursday night, Miriam and I went out with a large group.  We planned on going to Kapital, a club with seven floors and supposedly a cool venue.  So we went downtown and walked around to find the place and saw more and more kids from SLU on the way.  We went into a bar to have a drink before getting in line to go inside where a boy pointed at me and said, "Hey!" He was referring to my hair and we quickly joked about how there are NO redheads here!  (He had red hair, too.)  After standing in line fifteen minutes before the "no cover" time was up, Miriam and I made it in with our driver's licenses and no one else did.  So after standing inside by ourselves for a few minutes we went back outside and everyone was leaving so we went with them.

We ended up going to the club next door, which was called "Faena Madrid" and I just couldn't get over the name, which can mean something vulgar in Norwegian...  There was NO ONE THERE.  Except creepy older men... So we left there as well.  Next we headed to Sol to go to another bar and then ended up at Dubliner's.  There are always SLU kids there along with very attractive foreign people, but there was NO ONE THERE EITHER!  It was a bummer of a night.  To top it off, Miriam and I were hit on by a 29 year old Venezuelan... who "looooves American girls!"  (Oh wow, you're so original!)  So we decided to go home early.  We took a taxi with another SLU girl and made it home by spending less than 4 euros each.  Not too bad!

Friday we had a very chill day to prepare for Saturday.

Saturday we went to Salamanca!  It was about a two hour and fifteen minute bus ride from SLU Madrid to Salamanca and we spent the day walking around the city in the rain and cold and visiting the cathedrals and various Jesuit and other churches of different denominations.  We also visited the University of Salamanca building to find the little frog for good luck in our studies.  We split up at the Plaza Mayor and went on our own to get lunch.

Six of us went to a little cafe and had the menu of the day with a bottle of wine for the table.  While we were sitting there, I spotted someone who looked familiar standing at the bar... I kept staring and getting freaked out... And as soon as he walked my way I knew it was him: Ross from the plane! He lives down south of Madrid near Sevilla and we just happened to be in the same city, which is two hours Northwest of Madrid... Crazy!  We had a brief reunion and I spoke some Norwegian with his Swedish friend who was with him.  Then we all met back up at the bus and left Salamanca after walking around for another hour.  I ended up buying a silver ring, but nothing spectacular happened.

That night Miriam, Jess and I met up with some of Miriam's friends as well as Lynn, Hannah and Emma at Dubliner's.  We had so much fun!  We met a lot of people, from Amsterdam, Spain, USA and other places. We asked a French guy to take our picture and he did and then decided that I was too beautiful to not marry haha!  He kept taking pictures with me and told me that in "five years, three months and four days we'll meet again and get married."  And I told him that I might be married then, so what would happen? And he told me it doesn't matter and I would throw off my ring and marry him anyway.

Then he actually got down on one knee and proposed...  It was so funny.  At least he was attractive and not hounding me...just being silly.  Later, around four or five, Jess and I took a taxi home and then Miriam came home shortly after.  It was a good night :)

Classes are going well... I just read Lysistrata by Aristophanes... Let me just say, double entendres galore!!  management is going well and I am really enjoying the class and Spanish is actually quite difficult.  Hopefully I'll improve while I'm here...

This weekend Miriam and I are going to Dublin with a bunch of SLU girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment